ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- “The Ministry of Home Affairs (KDN) [of Malaysia] held an engagement session with Islamic scholars and religious teachers in Parliament on Thursday in its effort to prepare a proposal to improve the administrative directive on the use of the word ‘Allah’.”
- “Sharia (Islamic rulings) influences the sukuk rating process, sa[id] Fitch Ratings, through sukuk structuring, recourse to the obligor, debt ranking of obligations, amount paid on maturity, acceleration of repayment prior to maturity, enforceability of investor rights, and recovery upon default.”
- “The 23rd session of the Islamic Forum in Sharjah [UAE], titled “As-Sab’ Al-Mathani” (the seven oft-repeated Ayat), has begun under the patronage and direction of His Highness Sheikh Dr Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah.”
- “In a recent shift of events, Saudi Arabia‘s Tourism Authority Website visitsaudi.com has updated a new section in its Frequently Asked Questions page under the question: ‘Are LGBT visitors welcome to visit Saudi Arabia?’ The answer to the question reads as follows: ‘We don’t ask anyone to disclose personal details and never have. Everyone is welcome to visit our country.'”
CASES AND FATWĀS
- The Islamic Information, a website dedicated to providing information relating to Islam and Islamic law, recently posted a note on the nature and requirements of the process of halal certification, providing answers to questions such as “What makes food halal-certified?” and “Who certifies halal food in the USA?”
- AMUST or the Australasian Muslim Times posted an Islamic law opinion on their website on animal slaughtering and whether electric shock is permissible, entitled “Islamic Judgement on electric shock or CAS (Controlled Atmospheric Stunning) prior to slaughtering.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Book talk: “Copyright in Islamic Law” by Dr. Mohamed Ali Ahdash, June 19, 2023.
- MESA Malcolm H. Kerr Dissertation Awards, July 1, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Position opening: The Department of Religious Studies, Michigan State University, August 16, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.