ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Abel Awad, an American lawyer and Islamic law expert, stated that the viability-based reasoning behind the famous U.S. Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade, recognizing a woman’s right to an abortion, imposed one religious view of viability on the American society while marginalizing other religions’ view on viability, including that of Islam.
- Kibera (Kenya) constructed a new courthouse that includes a courtroom for a special court with limited jurisdiction over matters pertaining to Islamic law.
- The United Arab Emirates announced that it had passed a law relaxing penalties for travelers bringing in substances with THC, the chemical substance found in cannabis, into the country.
- Alawite women from Syria have raised concerns over not being able to claim their Islamic law-based inheritance rights under the country’s Personal Status Law No. 59 of 1953.
- The Taliban decreed on Friday that forced marriages would be banned in Afghanistan, and that women and men should be equal, although the decree did not address the issue of whether women would regain easier access to jobs or higher education.
For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Saudi Arabia granted approval for those vaccinated with the Russian vaccine Sputnik to enter the country, allowing millions of Muslims to visit the Muslim holy sites of Mecca and Medina.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Librarian for Islamic Art and Architecture, Harvard College Library. Deadline: January 3, 2022.
- Fellowships: Program on Law & Society in the Muslim World, Harvard Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Ties of Kinship and the Early Islamic Empire. Deadline: 6-8 December 2021.
- Conference: Maqāṣid and Ethics: Foundations, Approaches, and Applied Fields on December 6-8, 2021, Doha, Qatar.
- Discussion: “Law, Gender & Popular Culture Representations of Female Legal Professionals in Contemporary Arab Popular Culture” by the Arab-German Young Academy of Sciences and Humanities on December 9, 2021.
- Ulrich Haarmann Memorial Lecture: “Kitchen culture in 13th-century Syria: Archaeological and Botanical Perspectives on Dietary Choices, Garbage Disposal, and Health” by Bethany Walker (Bonn) and Alan Farahani (Berkeley), Annemarie Schimmel Kolleg on December 9, 2021.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral Research Associate, The Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center, Princeton University. Deadline: December 10, 2021.
- Call for Contributions: “Literary Snippets: Colophons Across Space and Time,” Institute for Advanced Study, April 1, 2022. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Call for Applications: American Druze Foundation Fellowship at Georgetown University. Deadline: December 15, 2021.
- Call for Proposals: Unfreedom in the Premodern World: Comparative Perspectives on Slavery, Servitude & Captivity. Deadline: December 17, 2021.
- Position opening: Open Rank Tenure Track Position, Islamic Art History, Pomona College, July 1, 2022. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor, History of the Islamic World The Department of History at Central Connecticut State University. Deadline: January 1, 2022.
- Short-Term Fellowships: New-York Historical Society, July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2023. Deadline: January 6, 2022.
- Position opening: Lehigh University, History Department Lawrence Henry Gipson Chair in Transnational History. Deadline: January 7, 2022.
- Call for Papers: “The Middle Ages as a Digital Experience,” Department of Medieval Studies, Central European University, April 21-23, 2022. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Research Fellowship, Kamel Center at Yale Law School, 2022-2023. Deadline: January 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Theory and Practice of Rebellion, Hamburg, September 22-24, 2022. Deadline: February 1, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.