ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Saudi Arabia has approved new personal status laws that aim to enhance the legal status of women and children by enhancing alimony rights of women for childcare, among other things. The Saudi Crown Prince stated that the new laws are “comprehensive in addressing all the problems that the family and women were suffering from.”
- Abdul Razaq AbdulMajeed Alaro has advised the Nigerian government to expand its efforts on Islamic finance and sukūk, asserting that Islamic finance is an “interest free financial system in line with the Quran[ic] injunction.”
- “A businessman, Mustapha Baba, on Wednesday prayed a Sharia Court in Kaduna State [Nigeria], to order his estranged wife, Amina Sani, to return a diamond necklace he gave her as a condition to oblige her request for divorce.”
- Maliya Naz has curated a collection of Muslim views on the permissibility of cryptocurrencies according to Islamic law.
- Mu’aawiyah Tucker, a Muslim investor, has been running a YouTube channel where he advocated for the permissibility of cryptocurrencies under Islamic law.
- Women continue to face challenges in asserting their right to inheritance in Pakistan, despite the fact that women’s right to inheritance is firmly enshrined in both Islam and the laws of Pakistan.
- Commenting on Russia‘s recent invasion of Ukraine, a Muslim Tatar and muftī of Kyiv, Said Ismagilov, said: “I can say for sure that I will not remain a mufti, and will either leave the city and fight against the occupiers in the free territory of Ukraine or I will remain in Kyiv.”
- Malaysian courts have grappled with the question of how to take into account the parents’ religion in deciding custody matters, especially after a parent converts to Islam.
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Saudi Arabia recently lifted the requirement for vaccinated visitors to Mecca and Medina to have a swab test at the entrance to the Muslim holy sites.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Applications: Data Science Fellow, Program in Islamic Law. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Social Media Internship Opportunity: The Muslim Women’s Giving Circle (MWGC). Deadline: March 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Staff Attorney, The Center for Constitutional Rights. Deadline: March 18, 2022.
- 12th Annual Donald C. Clark Jr. Endowed Law and Religion Lecture: Adnan A. Zulfiqar & Ngugi wa Thiong’o, March 25, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Director for Research, The Crown Center for Middle East Studies at Brandeis University. Deadline: April 1, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Mr. Shivan Fazil and Dr. Bahar Baser, April 8, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Call for Applications: The MESA Global Academy 2022-2023. Deadline: May 1, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.