ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Some pundits have argued that the recent presidential campaign in France, and the candidates’ statements about Islam “that seek to protect laïcité and regulate Islam contradictorily entangle state and religion ever closer.”
- “Al-Azhar Grand Imam Ahmed al-Tayyeb announced that congratulating Christians on holidays is not out of courtesy or formalities but rather ‘comes from our understanding of the teachings of our true religion.'”
- Alaafin Adeyemi, the Permanent Chairman of Oyo State Council of Obas and Chiefs (Nigeria), passed away and a burial ceremony was conducted in accordance with Islamic law.
- Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob of Malaysia stated that he wants the federal government to implement the Islamic law principle of maslaha in every policy.
- The Supreme Court of India refused to consider a petition challenging the constitutionality of The Waqf Act, 1995.
- The Taliban recently ordered a ban on TikTok and PUBG, stating that the two social media platforms were leading Afghan youth “astray.” For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- UAE authorities asked mosque officials throughout the country to restrict Ramadan prayers to 45 minutes due to ongoing concerns about the pandemic.
- Following the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah‘s announcement lifting restrictions of Muslim pilgrims to the Muslim holy sites, Mecca and Medina’s economy has witnessed a significant boost.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Conference: 7th IDHN Conference, May 5, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Formation, Establishment, and Evolution of the Mālikī Madhhab, University of Laussane, June 4, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.