On Islamic Law:
- The recently founded “Journal of Digital Islamicate Research (JDIR) is a peer-reviewed journal covering the field of Middle Eastern and Islamicate Digital Humanities (DH). It aspires to adjust the computational, visualization and big data methods for the exploration of contemporary and historical cultures (also known as Cultural Analytics, CA) to the emerging field of Middle Eastern and Islamic Digital Humanities, and apply these methods to it.”
- In “Islamic System of Human Rights and Types of Contracts in Islamic Law” (Web of Scientist: International Scientific Research Journal 3, no. 8 (2022)), Dr. Abdumukhtor Rakhmanov examines the Islamic law-inspired values that undergird Islamic contract law, including the duty “to be honest and conscientious in [one’s] obligations, timely and proper execution, [and] tolerance and generosity.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Supporting Factors of Buying Transactions Based on Local Wisdom in Aceh” (Journal of Law, Policy and Globalization 118 (2022)), Sulaiman Sulaiman and Yulia Yulia (Malikussaleh University, Indonesia), using “empirical juridical research,” look at how Islamic law and customary law influence the process of buying and selling land and house objects in Aceh, Indonesia.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- The HMML Reading Room recently cataloged several collections from Ethiopia including from the Sherif Harar City Museum.
- Streamlit is “used to convert a PDF or image that has Arabic text (scanned or otherwise) and convert it into text that can be searched, copied, analyzed, etc. The output can be downloaded as a PDF or a Word Doc file.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Tenure-Track Harvard Professor in the History of Modern Africa, Harvard University, September 19, 2022.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- International Conference: Historicizing the Shiʿi Hadith Corpus, Leiden University, September 12-14, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Occidental College, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Temple University Beasley School of Law, Fall 2023.
- Call for Papers: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, September 15, 2022.
- Panel: Religion after Roe, John Carroll University, September 19, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law’s Forthcoming Volume 22 (2022), October 21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: The Johnson Program for First Book Authors (American Bar Foundation), November 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Shifting Criminal Legal Landscapes in 19th-Century Habsburg and Ottoman Borderlands (Missouri), November 11, 2022 @ 1:15 pm – 2:40 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Many Peoples, Many Laws: Legal Pluralism Across the Medieval World (Ontario), November 12, 2022 @ 2:05 pm – 3:35 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Islamic Law and Agriculture in Global History, 1850-1950 (Superior A), November 12, 2022 @ 10:15 am – 11:45 am.
- Call for Papers: Regulative Verses of the Qur’ān (āyāt al-aḥkām), Al Mahdi Institute, November 25, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.