On Islamic Law:
- In “Maldives-Middle East Connections” (Middle East Institute, September 20, 2022), Michael B. Bishku (Augusta University) provides a primer on the Maldives and the country’s engagement with the Middle East, noting that “[t]he 1932 Constitution made shari’a (Islamic law) the ‘basis of all administrative and political governance,’ and its 2008 successor restricts citizenship to practitioners of Islam.”
- In “The Future of Islamic Law” (SSRN, February 12, 2022), Imran Ahsan Nyazee (Advanced Legal Studies Institute) argues that “[t]he future of Islamic law in an environment dominated by nation states is difficult to visualize.”
- In an opinion piece titled “Muslims also face the interest of young people in anime, and not always peacefully” (Realnoe Vremya, September 19, 2022), Karim Gaynullin discusses “the influence of Japanese mass culture on Islam,” with a focus on anime.
On Islam and Data Science:
- According to a recent survey conducted by Wunderman Thompson Intelligence and VMLY&R Malaysia, “[o]ne in three Muslims in Southeast Asia consider themselves more religious than their parents were at their age, with their faith informing decisions around personal spending, fashion, banking, travel and education.”
- According to the 14th Annual ASDA’A BCW Arab Youth Survey, nearly two-thirds of all Arabs have stated that “their legal structures should be based on Sharia Law.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- The Library of Congress offers a searchable collection database that brings together a vast variety of publications relating to Islam and Islamic law, including books, newspapers, legislation, films, audio recordings, among many others.
- Gumar is an Arabic dictionary that focuses on Gulf Arabic.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Online panel: “Ukraine from Ottoman Times to Today,” MESA Global Academy, September 30, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The 233rd Meeting of the American Oriental Society 2023, October 15, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law’s Forthcoming Volume 22 (2022), October 21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: The Johnson Program for First Book Authors (American Bar Foundation), November 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Shifting Criminal Legal Landscapes in 19th-Century Habsburg and Ottoman Borderlands (Missouri), November 11, 2022 @ 1:15 pm – 2:40 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Many Peoples, Many Laws: Legal Pluralism Across the Medieval World (Ontario), November 12, 2022 @ 2:05 pm – 3:35 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Islamic Law and Agriculture in Global History, 1850-1950 (Superior A), November 12, 2022 @ 10:15 am – 11:45 am.
- Call for Papers: Regulative Verses of the Qur’ān (āyāt al-aḥkām), Al Mahdi Institute, November 25, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.