On Islamic Law
- In “Religious Authority in Islamic Law: A Debate on Conservative and Progressive Methods” (Afkaruna 19, no. 1 (2023)), Alif Rizky Ramadhan and Ai Fatimah Nur Fuad (University of Muhammadiyah, Indonesia) juxtapose and discuss two approaches to understanding Islamic law, which they describe as “conservative” and “progressive,” arguing that the former is more collective while the latter emphasizes individual understandings.
- In “A Barter System for Used Palm Oil Traders: Islamic Law Perspective” (Demak Universal Journal of Islam and Sharia 1, no. 1 (2023)), Muhamad Subhi Apriantoro (Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta, Indonesia) and others explore “the practice of purchasing and selling used cooking oil utilizing a barter system” and its permissibility under Islamic law.
On Islam and Data Science
- In “The Effect of Environmental Performance on Financial Performance with Islamic Corporate Social Responsibility (ICSR) as Intervening Variable” (Jurnal Ilmiah Akuntansi 8, no. 1 (2023)), Ersi Sisdianto (Universitas Islam Negeri Raden Intan Lampung) and others “analyze the effect of environmental performance on financial performance with Islamic Corporate Social Responsibility (ICSR),” finding that ICSR “cannot mediate the relationship between environmental performance and financial performance.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- In “Pursuing Islamic Scholarship Alongside Another Career? Guidance For Aspirants” (Muslim Matters, August 28, 2023), Dr. Hatem El Haj shares tips for budding scholars of Islamic law, including on how best to ready and analyze Islamic legal sources, and provides lists of the major sources that up-and-coming scholars should read.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Talk: A Conversation on Justice with Guantánamo Bay Survivor Mohamedou Ould Slahi, Harvard Divinity School, September 18, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Conference: Celebrating the scholarship and teaching of Prof. Christopher Melchert, Pembroke College, Oxford, September 25, 2023.
- Position opening: 3-year Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in History, Magdalene College, Cambridge, 2024, September 29, 2023.
- Call for Abstracts: Thematic Dossier on the Indian Ocean, September 30, 2023.
- Position opening: Tenure-track assistant professor in 19th century Middle East history, Yale University, October 1, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Southeast Asian history, Brown University, October 2, 2023.
- Position opening: Associate or Full Indigenous and/or Black Professor, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, October 10, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Symposium on Copyright in Islamic Legal Tradition, ISAR Research Center, Istanbul, October 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Law and Society Association Annual Meeting Unsettling Territories: Tradition and Revolution in Law and Society, October 24, 2023.
- Fellowship: The American Research Institute in Turkey (ARIT), 2024-25, November 1, 2023.
- Conference: MESA’s 57th Annual Meeting, Montréal, Québec, Canada, November 2-5, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- Symposium on Copyright in Islamic Legal Tradition, Istanbul, June 28-29, 2024.
- Search for Editor: International Journal of Middle East Studies, until an appointment is made.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.