ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Jordan recently amended its constitution, which now includes the words “Jordan women” in the clause on equality.
- Secretary-General of the International Union of Muslim Scholars, Dr. Ali Al-Qaradaghi, recently stated that cryptocurrencies are forbidden under Islamic law.
- Since the civil marriage reform in Abu Dhabi went into effect, courts in the UAE “have already started receiving applications” from expats wishing to be married in a secular ceremony.
- The Islamic police in Nigeria‘s Kano region “have destroyed nearly four million battles of beer.”
- A Pakistani man sentenced to life in prison after murdering his sister, a social media model, was acquitted of murder, after his family pardoned him in accordance with Islamic law.
- Recent changes in law in Singapore have allowed Muslim couples in Singapore to solemnize their marriages online.
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- In a recent opinion piece, Rabbi Allen S. Maller, citing passages from the Torah and the Qur’ān, contended that the COVID-19 pandemic is “God’s great test” for Jews and Muslims.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Islamic Law Blog Staff Editor, The Program in Islamic Law. Deadline: March 4, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Hedi Viterbo, Associate Professor of Law, March 11, 2022.
- Social Media Internship Opportunity: The Muslim Women’s Giving Circle (MWGC). Deadline: March 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Staff Attorney, The Center for Constitutional Rights. Deadline: March 18, 2022.
- Research Associate: The Evolution of Islamic Societies (c.600-1600 CE): Algorithmic Analysis into Social History. Deadline: March 31, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Mr. Shivan Fazil and Dr. Bahar Baser, April 8, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Call for Applications: The MESA Global Academy 2022-2023. Deadline: May 1, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.