On Islamic Law:
- In “Review: Syed Mahmood; Colonial India’s Dissenting Judge by Mohammad Nasir and Samreen Ahmad” (Hindustan Times, May 23, 2022), Shafey Kidwai (Aligarh Muslim University) reviews the book Syed Mahmood: Colonial India’s Dissenting Judge (Bloomsbury 2022).
- In “Methodology for Studying the Relationship between Islamic Law and National Customs in the Uzbek Family” (Berlin Studies Transnational Journal of Science and Humanities 2, no. 1), Rashidova Shakhzoda Raimovna (International Islamic Academy of Uzbekistan) “provides a brief description of the methodological approach to the study of the role of Islamic law and national customs in the family life of Uzbeks.”
- In “Overturning Roe v. Wade Doesn’t Need Sharia Analogies” (New Lines Magazine, May 9, 2022), Rasha Al Aqeedi (New Lines Magazine) argues that “Americans should stop invoking Islamic jurisprudence to refer to reactionary American laws.”
On Islam and Data Science:
- In “Digitalizing Islamic prayer times for accurate Salat time and Azan application” (Islam, Media and Education in the Digital Era, Atie Rachmiatie et al. eds., Routledge 2022), E.A. Rojak (Universitas Islam Bandung) and others “us[ing] a descriptive qualitative approach with library data and field data,” aim to provide an accurate computational model for prayer times.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
This Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online. We recently added new resources to this list:
- Stanford University Library AI Studio: Ottoman Manuscripts is an ongoing project that curates “probate inventories of wealthy and powerful individuals who died during the mid-century revolutions from the Balkans to Egypt.”
- The National Library of Iran provides digitized manuscripts accessible through web interface, and downloadable page by page.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Workshop: Islamic Perspectives on a Posthuman Future, University of Groningen, May 28, 2022.
- Award: Annemarie Schimmel-Foundation for Islamic Studies Research Award. Deadline is May 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Gender as a Category of Analysis for the Study of the Medieval Middle East. Deadline is June 1, 2022.
- Legal Internship: ACLU Illinois, Fall 2022. Deadline is June 1, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Formation, Establishment, and Evolution of the Mālikī Madhhab, University of Laussane, June 4, 2022.
- Position opening: Director, International Human Rights Program, University of Toronto Faculty of Law. Deadline is June 12, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Professor in the History of the Middle East and Muslim Africa, University of Bergen, June 12, 2022.
- Summer School 2022: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World. Deadline is June 17, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- AMECYS Book Award Announcement (copyright 2020, 2021), June 30, 2022.
- Call for Contributions: Special-Edition Journal, Pakistan, July 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Perspective of the Countryside in the Medieval Arab-Islamic World, August 1, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.