ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Indian Union Women’s League (IUWL) has requested the Indian Parliament to not amend Muslim personal law in a way that would contravene Islamic law.
- “The Punjab and Haryana High Court recently reaffirmed that a Muslim girl who reaches the age of 15 can marry whoever she wants, and such a marriage would not violate the Prohibition of Child Marriage (PCM) Act.”
- The Kerala High Court stated that clerics with no training in or knowledge of legal sciences cannot be relied upon in adjudicating cases concerning Islamic law.
- A division of the Kerala High Court held that “women have the right to resort to the extra-judicial divorce of ‘khula’ unilaterally.”
- “Federal agents have been asking about IS EG Halal, a New Jersey firm that Egypt made its sole certifier for meat exports from America, an inquiry that appears to include Senator Robert Menendez of New Jersey.”
- The Taliban recently issued a decree banning hookahs, also known as shishas, reasoning that its consumption is against Islamic law. For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.”
- “Egypt’s Dar al-Ifta issued a fatwa charter promoting practices that are environmentally friendly based on Islamic law, as Egypt gears up to host the UN climate summit next month.”
- “The Supreme Court [of Pakistan] has ruled that the second marriage of the mother cannot become a stand-alone reason to disqualify her right to custody.”
- Othman Battikh, Tunisia‘s Grand Muftī, died of an illness at the age of 81.
- “On Sep. 30, Spiritual and Religious Life at Kenyon emailed the College’s Muslim Student Association to let them know that some of the meat served in Peirce Dining Hall that students had been eating for the past semester with the understanding that it was halal was, in fact, not.”
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Recent studies have shed light on how Muslims have relied on Islamic ritual practices to cope with anxiety and other mental health-related concerns that have arisen during the pandemic.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Seminar: Islamic Family Law in the UK by Javaid Rahman, GCNC Chambers, November 8, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: The Johnson Program for First Book Authors (American Bar Foundation), November 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Shifting Criminal Legal Landscapes in 19th-Century Habsburg and Ottoman Borderlands (Missouri), November 11, 2022 @ 1:15 pm – 2:40 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Many Peoples, Many Laws: Legal Pluralism Across the Medieval World (Ontario), November 12, 2022 @ 2:05 pm – 3:35 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Islamic Law and Agriculture in Global History, 1850-1950 (Superior A), November 12, 2022 @ 10:15 am – 11:45 am.
- Position opening: Assistant, Associate or Full Professor of Middle East History, The American University in Cairo, November 15, 2022.
- Call for Applications: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, November 15, 2022.
- Webinar: “Improvised Forms: Body, Text, and Diagram in Saʿd al-Dīn Ḥamūya’s (d. 1252) Sajanjal al-arwāḥ” by Dr. Cyril Uy, November 15, 2022.
- Conference: 8th IDHN Conference, November 17, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Annual Comparative Law Work-in-Progress Workshop, University of Pennsylvania Law School, November 18, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Regulative Verses of the Qur’ān (āyāt al-aḥkām), Al Mahdi Institute, November 25, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Director, The Roshan Institute for Persian Studies, December 1, 2022.
- Webinar: “The Second Formation of Islamic Law in Premodern Transoxiana: Evidences of Manuscripts” by Dr. Lola Dodkhudoeva, December 6, 2022.
- The American University in Cairo: Graduate Program in Arabic and Islamic Studies, Fall 2023, December 15, 2022.
- Residential Fellowship: Crown Center for Middle East Studies, 2023-2024, January 1, 2023.
- Call for Applications: Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History, 2023, January 15, 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.