On Islamic Law
- In “Review of Islamic Law Relating to Motorvehicle Lending in Bandung District” (Journal of Islamic Economic Law 8, no. 1 (2023)), Hardi Fardiansyah (STIH Dharma Andigha Bogor Alamat Surat) and others investigate how a locality in Bandung, Indonesia structures their lending vehicle agreements in a way that incorporates elements of Islamic contract law.
- In “Integration of Islamic Law in Regional Development in Indonesia” (Jurnal Ilmiah Syari’ah 22, no. 1 (2023)), Irma Suryani (Universitas Islam Negeri Mahmud Yunus Batusangkar, Indonesia) and others “analyze the integration of Islamic legal concepts in regional development from an economic, social, political and environmental perspective and […] identify concrete policies or programs that can be implemented to apply a holistic and sustainable approach to Islamic law in regional development.”
- In “Evolution and Current State of Islamic Law Studies” (Central Asian Journal of Literature, Philosophy and Culture, May 10, 2023), Radjabova Mavjuda Abdullaevna (Academy of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Uzbekistan) “deals with the issues of historical and legal aspects of the evolution of Islamic law and its essence, as well as studies of unique sources on Islamic law in Uzbekistan, in particular the book by Burkhonnidin Marginoni ‘Al-Hidayah’.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Public Interest in using QRIS in Purchasing Halal Products” (Proceedings Book The International Conference On Islamic Economics, Islamic Finance, & Islamic Law (ICIEIFIL), 2023) Yandha Yonita Oktya Maharani and Muzakar Isa (Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta, Indonesia), using questionnaire data from surveying 130 people, “determine the effects of perceived ease of use, perceived benefits, and safety perception on the intention to use QRIS in purchasing halal food” in Indonesia.
- Haider Ala Hamoudi has been named the new dean of the University of Cincinnati College of Law.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- General Sources on Islam, prepared by Aslihan Bulut, is a research guide maintained by the Arthur W. Diamond Law Library at Columbia University that includes a list of encyclopedias, periodicals, and research guides on Islam and Islamic law.
- The Tanzil Project is “a Quranic project launched in 2007 to produce a highly verified Unicode Quran text to be used in Quranic websites and applications.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Disaster Relief: Harvard Law School’s Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief Efforts.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Graduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, May 19, 2023.
- Position opening: Managing Editor, Program in Islamic Law at Harvard Law School, May 19, 2023.
- Call for Entries for ILJ Student Note Competition, May 21, 2023.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Summer Program: Comparative Law, AALS, May 15-June 16, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Call for Articles: Bogazici Law Review (Turkey), May 31, 2023.
- Online conference: IDHN 9th online conference, May 31, 2023.
- Call for Applications: ASLH Student Research Colloquium, 2023, June 1, 2023.
- MESA Mentoring Award, June 1, 2023.
- MESA Jere L. Bacharach Service Award, June 1, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Call for Panel and Paper Proposals 2023: The American Society of Comparative Law, June 15, 2023.
- Summer School: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World, Leiden University, June 16, 2023.
- MESA Malcolm H. Kerr Dissertation Awards, July 1, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.