On Islamic Law
- Ari Schriber (University of Toronto) reviews Jocelyn Hendrickson‘s (University of Alberta) Leaving Iberia Islamic Law and Christian Conquest in North West Africa (Harvard University Press, 2021).
- In “Theology and Philosophy after al-Ghazali: The End of Philosophy in Islam?” (Marginalia, May 26, 2023), Hasan Hameed (Ph.D. candidate, Princeton University) reviews Frank Griffel’s (Yale University) book, The Formation of Post-Classical Philosophy in Islam (Oxford University Press, 2021) arguing that Ghazali might be viewed as having engendered a new form of Islamic philosophy, as opposed to having ended it.
- In “The interest of Islamic law in people with special needs” (Hammurabi Journal for Studies 1, no. 45 (2023)), Diaa Awaid Al-Khweldi explores how the main sources of Islamic law treat people with disabilities and special needs
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Islamic Law and Development: Examining the law and practice of Islamic microfinance” (Ph.D. diss., University of Sydney Law School, 2023), Tanvir Uddin (University of Sydney), “combining doctrinal and fieldwork analysis in Bangladesh and Indonesia, […] argues that Islamic microfinance, as a law and development program that adheres to Sharīʿah, addresses the underlying criticisms of microfinance and has the potential to fulfill the needs of impoverished Muslim communities.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Mamluk Bibliography Online: Primary Sources is part of an ongoing project at the University of Chicago, compiling legal opinions issued under the Mamlūk era.
- Mamluk Bibliography Online: Secondary Sources is part of an ongoing project at the University of Chicago, compiling secondary literature on the Mamlūk era.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Summer Program: Comparative Law, AALS, May 15-June 16, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Call for Panel and Paper Proposals 2023: The American Society of Comparative Law, June 15, 2023.
- Summer School: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World, Leiden University, June 16, 2023.
- MESA Malcolm H. Kerr Dissertation Awards, July 1, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.