On Islamic Law
- In “Continuity and Change of Traditional Islamic Law in Modern Times: tarjīḥ as a Method of Adaptation and Development of Legal Doctrines” (Oxford Journal of Law and Religion, June 27, 2023), Ahmed Gad Makhlouf (University of Vienna) argues that “[i]n addition to ijtihād (independent legal reasoning), tarjīḥ (weighing up and preference) serves as a fundamental instrument of traditional Islamic law’s operational work and was used on different levels.”
- In “Islamic Banking and Finance Definition: History and Example” (Investopedia, updated June 20, 2023), Evan Tarver defines Islamic banking, “also referred to as Islamic finance or Shariah-compliant finance” as “financial activities that adhere to Shariah (Islamic law).”
- In “From the Lack to the Requirement: The Public Consultation Reform in Saudi Arabia” (Journal of Islamic & Near Eastern Law 20 (2023)), Saud M. Alholiby (King Faisal University) and Zakaria A. Almulhim (Institute of Public Administration, Saudi Arabia) observe that “the Saudi government has recently introduced a new requirement for most pro-posed laws and regulations: public consultation (PC).
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Disclosure of the Risks of Islamic Financial Instruments (Sukuk)” (in Islamic Accounting and Finance: A Handbook (2023)), Omar Ikbal Tawfik and Elsaid Elmaasrawy Elsayed Ghazi, dealing with the Qatar Islamic Bank as a case study, “propose a framework for disclosing sukuk risks, show the types of risks to which sukuks are exposed in the various literatures, and how to disclose sukuk risks in international standards such as IFRS, IFSB Standards, and AAOIFI Standards.”
- “Professor Mohammad H. Fadel [University of Toronto] who has published numerous articles in Islamic legal history and Islam and liberalism, and teaches in areas including business law, securities regulation and Islamic law, [has recently published] of Islamic Jurisprudence, Islamic Law, and Modernity: Resources in Arabic and Islamic Studies (Lockwood Press, 2023).”
- Omar Abdel-Ghaffar, Student Editor at the Islamic Law Blog and James Whitman/Yale Law School Fellow, has been selected as a 2023 class of participant in the Graduate Student Research Colloquium organized by the American Society for Legal History.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Islamic-Finance.com Resources “[i]ncludes academic papers; primers on the main products adopted by modern Islamic financial institutions with some commentaries; summaries of secular economic theory from various schools of thought; summaries of various common secular financial products.”
- Syariah Court of Singapore “is a specialist court created by Parliament to administer legal disputes concerning Muslim personal law as set out in the Act. (Chaytor v. Zaleha A Rahman  1 SLR(R) 504) It is vested with jurisdiction in Muslim personal law under s 35(2), specifically Muslim matrimonial law (s 52(1)) and Muslim inheritance and succession law (s 115).”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: Middle East Beyond Borders – Fall 2023, August 18, 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Scholarship: Iranian Studies, ARMACAD, July 31, 2023.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Travel Grant: MESA 2023, September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Legislation & Law of the Political Process, AALS, September 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Southeast Asian history, Brown University, October 2, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.