On Islamic Law
- In “Unveiling the Silenced Suffering of Women in Afghanistan: a Multi-Dimensional Analysis” (Journal on Vulnerable Community Development 1, no. 1 (2023)), Kavitha L. (University of Mysore) and Mohammad Edris Abdurahimzai (Department of Computer Science, University of Mysore) argue that “[t]he state should ensure equal access to education for women and girls, aligning with Islam and fostering a prosperous and inclusive society in Afghanistan.”
- In “Judicial Support for the Islamic Financial Services Industry: Towards Reform-oriented Interpretive Approaches” (Arab Law Quarterly, 2020), Umar A. Oseni (International Islamic Liquidity Management Corporation, Malaysia) and others “examine different dimensions and permutations of invaluable judicial support to Islamic financial services and products and identifies specific areas where the judiciary has helped to shape the industry in line with the original value proposition of Islamic financial intermediation.”
- In “Islamic Criminal Law Response on Physical Violence in the Household on Law No. 23 of 2004” (5th Graduate International Conference, June 30, 2023) Sri Wahyuni and Hamdani Hamdani (Islamic Law Study Programme, Sjech M.Djamil Djambek State Islamic University Bukittinggi, Indonesia) discuss domestic violence from an Islamic law perspective, asserting that Islamic criminal law can and should be interpreted as regulating domestic violence.
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Pragmatism of Polygamous Family In Muslim Society: Beyond Islamic Law” (Samarah: Jurnal Hukum Keluarga dan Hukum Islam 7, no. 1 (2023)), Sam’ani Sam’ani (UIN K.H. Abdurrahman Wahid Pekalongan, Indonesia) and others rely on a set of in-depth interviews with polygamous subjects to argue that the predominant motivation behind polygamous marriages are economic.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Turath is an online database of more than 8,000 books in Arabic on a diverse range of subjects, including Arabic literature and poetry and fiqh-related matters.
- Islamic Law in Singapore provides a list of curated and selected articles on Islamic law in Singapore by the National University of Singapore.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Papers: Middle East Beyond Borders – Fall 2023, August 18, 2023.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: International Medieval Congress, University of Leeds, August 31, 2023.
- Travel Grant: MESA 2023, September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Legislation & Law of the Political Process, AALS, September 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Conference: Celebrating the scholarship and teaching of Prof. Christopher Melchert, Pembroke College, Oxford, September 25, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Southeast Asian history, Brown University, October 2, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Conference: MESA’s 57th Annual Meeting, Montréal, Québec, Canada, November 2-5, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- Search for Editor: International Journal of Middle East Studies, until an appointment is made.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.