On Islamic Law
- In “Snapshot: succession law in Saudi Arabia” (Lexology, November 4, 2023), Belal Hashmi (Al Marbae & Partners Law Firm) provides an overview of Saudi inheritance law, noting that “[i]n Saudi Arabia, an individual’s estate for succession purposes is determined by Islamic law, specifically the principles of Shari’a.”
- In “Islamic Law and Customary Law in Contemporary Legal Pluralism in Indonesia: Tension and Constraints” (AHKAM 23, no. 1 (2023)), Rr Dewi Anggraeni (Universitas Pamulang) explores “the conflicts between Islamic law, state law, and customary law regarding inheritance within the kinship system of Indonesian society.”
- In “Is the Middle East Moving Toward Islamism after the Arab Spring? The Case Study of the Egyptian Commercial and Financial Laws” (Richmond Journal of Global Law & Business 12, no. 1 (2023)), Radwa Elsaman (Cornell University Law School) and Ahmed Eldakak (Alexandria University, Egypt) address the legal challenges Egypt’s Islamist political majority will face “if they decide to Islamize laws and regulations related to business and finance.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Qualitative Study of the Role of Islamic Law in Shaping Muslim Identity and Business Ethics” (SHH 2, no. 1 (2023)), Suprijati Sarib (Institut Agama Islam Negeri Manado) and others “explore the role of Islamic law in shaping the identity and business ethics of Muslims in West Java, Indonesia.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Al-Hadees is an “Islamic encyclopedia, a complete comprehensive Quran & Hadith Search Engine under the supervision of Jamia Masjid Mohammed Ahmad offering complete Al-Quran with 27 Translations, 11 Tafaseer & Words by Words Translation, 13 Books on Ahadees of Nabi ﷺ with complete authentic data.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Talk: “Chasing Floods: the Ottoman Introduction of Rice in the Balkan Peninsula” by Aleksandar Shopov, CMES, Harvard University, November 15, 2023.
- Seminar: “Revisiting History: Nurullah Shushtari on Shī’ī Historiography, Taqiyya & The Pre-Savafid Era” by Shahrad Shahvand, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, November 16, 2023.
- Winter Excursion to Tunisia: Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University, November 17, 2023.
- Talk: “The ‘Khitat’ of al-Maqrizi: Narrating History on the Tempo of ‘Kharab’” by Nasser Rabat, CMES, Harvard University, November 28, 2023.
- Talk: “Locusts of Power” by Samuel Dolbee, CMES, Harvard University, November 29, 2023.
- Seminar: “Ineffability and Adequation: Symmetries between ‘Ayn al-Quḍāt Hamadānī’s Theory of Language, Ontology and Mystical Epistemology” by Nicholas Boylston, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, November 30, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Southeast Asia, Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies at UC Berkeley, November 10, 2023.
- Virtual talk: “The New Crusades: Islamophobia and the Global War on Muslims” with Khaled Beydoun, Rutgers Law School, November 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in South Asian Cultural Studies, The Department of Asian & Middle Eastern Studies at Duke University, November 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Annual Comparative Law Work-in-Progress Workshop, November 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: American Oriental Society’s 234th Meeting, November 15, 2023.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): The emirate of the Banū Tellīs in the 15th c. CE, November 22, 2023.
- Call for Papers: EMPIRE: In Theory and In Middle East History, American University in Cairo, December 1, 2023.
- Book discussion: “Interviewing and Interrogation: A Review of Research and Practice Since World War II,” United Nations Headquarters, New York, December 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Annual Conference of the British Association for Islamic Studies, December 14, 2023.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Shedding light on some Islamic sites and buildings in Cyrenaica, December 20, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Fellowship September 2024-May 2025: Crown Center for Middle East, Brandeis University, January 1, 2024.
- Panel on Islamic Law and Constitutionalism: AALS 2024 Meeting, January 4, 2024.
- Author-Meets-Reader: Sherman Jackson and “The Islamic Secular,” AALS 2024 Meeting, January 6, 2024.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): The jurisprudential corpus and the history of Ibadism in medieval Libya: additions and difficulties, January 24, 2024.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Looking for Libya in Coptic-Arabic historiographical sources, February 21, 2024.
- Book award: The Sharmin & Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Iran & Persian Gulf Studies at Princeton University, April 1, 2024.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Partnership for Heritage. Documentation and heritage management for the protection of the Nafousa Mountains, April 17, 2024.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Between Ṭarābulus and Aṭrābulus. The journey of the toponym and difficulties in determining its form, May 22, 2024.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Surveying and documentation of the archaeological city of Barca (Al-Marj), June 26, 2024.
- Symposium on Copyright in Islamic Legal Tradition, Istanbul, June 28-29, 2024.
- Search for Editor: International Journal of Middle East Studies, until an appointment is made.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- Call for Papers: Special Section – Lifewriting Annual and Islam.