On Islamic Law
- In Maqasid Al-Shari’ah as Philosophy of Islamic Law: A Systems Approach (The International Institute of Islamic Thought 2022), Jasser Auda (Research Center for Islamic Legislation and Ethics, Qatar) proposes a new theory to categorize theories for Islamic law.
- In “A seat at the table: Islamic laws neglected potential in universalising international humanitarian law” (in Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law: Challenges Ahead, eds. Andreas Zimmermann and Norman Weiß, 2022), Julie A. Fraser (Utrecht University) argues that “despite being historically and normatively germane to international humanitarian law, Islamic laws of war have been epistemically neglected.”
- In “Estate Planning for Muslim Clients: Incorporating Unique Religious Preferences Into a Conventional Estate Plan” (NAELA News and Journal, May 2022), Yaser Ali, Esq. guides “the practitioner in designing an estate plan that achieves a Muslim client’s wishes by introducing readers to a Muslim client, providing an overview of the faith and the applicable components of Islamic inheritance law, and outlining specific estate planning considerations that follow from Islamic law.”
- In “Explainer: Rival Islamists in 2022” (Wilson Center, July 7, 2022), Cole Bunzel (Hoover Institution, Stanford) briefly surveys the history of Islamism, with an emphasis on its historical evolution, including its connections to Islamic law.
- In “Why Do Indonesian Judges Dissent?” (Australian Journal of Asian Law, Vol. 23, No. 1, Article 1: 1-19, 2022) Simon Butt (The University of Sydney Law School) “demonstrates that, despite allowing judges to express their independence, dissents have, in practice, not appreciably improved the transparency and accountability of judicial decision-making in Indonesia.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Insurance Business Models Under Islamic Law and Participation Insurance” (International Journal of Insurance and Finance 2, no. 1 (2022)), Muharrem Umut and Enes Akkurt (Ankara Hacibayram Veli University, Turkey), using various empirical data, demonstrate that “[t]he concept of Islamic insurance and/or participation insurance has started to become widespread in [Turkey], particularly in recent years, similar to participation banking.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Muslims in a Global Context – Oakland Campus, compiled by the University of Pittsburgh, is a guide that “provides selected high-quality resources for those interested in Muslims around the world and in Islam.”
- The Making of Modern Law: Foreign, Comparative, and International Law, 1600-1926 “provides researchers with instant, full-text access to primary source documents previously found only at the largest and oldest repositories. Coverage is primarily from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, but there are also several hundred classics in European international law since the seventeenth century.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Position opening: Tenure-Track Professor of Persian Literature and Cultures, Harvard University, January 6, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Annual Comparative Law Work-in-Progress Workshop, University of Pennsylvania Law School, November 18, 2022.
- Webinar: 14th Ulrich Haarmann Memorial Lecture: “Blessed Aristocracies: charismatic authority, rural elites, and historiography in Medieval Yemen (6th-9th/12th-15th c.)” by Zacharie Mochtari de Pierrepont, November 24, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Regulative Verses of the Qur’ān (āyāt al-aḥkām), Al Mahdi Institute, November 25, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Director, The Roshan Institute for Persian Studies, December 1, 2022.
- Webinar: “The Second Formation of Islamic Law in Premodern Transoxiana: Evidences of Manuscripts” by Dr. Lola Dodkhudoeva, December 6, 2022.
- Position opening: Al-Qasimi Professor of Islamic Studies, University of Exeter, December 7, 2022.
- Symposium: Legal Orders under Pressure: Non-Western Experiences of Legal Transformations in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries, Max Planck Institute, December 7-9, 2022.
- The American University in Cairo: Graduate Program in Arabic and Islamic Studies, Fall 2023, December 15, 2022.
- Residential Fellowship: Crown Center for Middle East Studies, 2023-2024, January 1, 2023.
- Call for Applications: Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History, 2023, January 15, 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.