On Islamic Law
- Adnan Zulfiqar‘s (Rutgers Law School) “The Immorality of Incarceration: Between Jāvēd Aḥmad Ghāmidī and Angela Y. Davis” (Journal of Islamic Law 3, no. 1 (2022)) has been translated into Arabic by Gaber Mohamed.
- In “A Secret Marriage and Denied Rights: A Critique from an Islamic Law Perspective” (Religions 14, no. 4 (2023)), Tuba Erkoc Baydar (Ibn Haldun University, Turkey) “critically examine[s] the views of the four Sunnī legal schools on testimony (shahada) or proclamation (i’lan) in relation to marriage, and how these conditions align with the requirement for protecting the rights of all parties involved in the marriage.”
- In “Living Qur’an, Gender, and Sibaliparriq, in Mandar, Indonesia: Cultural Construction in the Perspective of Islamic Law” (Samarah 7, no. 2 (2023)), Bahruddin Umar Yakub (Sekolah Tinggi Agama Islam Negeri Majene, Indonesia) and others examine the concept of “sibaliparriq” defined as “a woman’s willingness to help her husband in the household,” with an emphasis on the concept’s compatibility with Islamic law.
On Islam and Data Science
- In “The Validity of The Marriage Guardian in The Case of Elopement in The Perspective of Islamic Law” (Al-Qadāu 10, no. 1 (2023)), Fadilah Syafitra and Sia Khosyi’ah (UIN Sunan Gunung Djati Bandung, Indonesia), relying on interviews with subjects, discuss the Islamic legal validity of marriages that occur where the partners elope, concluding that such marriages are invalid.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Hadith Collection is a website providing free-to-download collections of Prophetic sayings and teachings.
- Doha Islamic Finance Conference provides audio visual recordings from the 2018 Doha conference on Islamic finance.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Call for Papers: Middle East Beyond Borders – Fall 2023, August 18, 2023.
- Call for Applications: Lab Manager, Program in Islamic Law, Harvard Law School, August 24, 2023.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: International Medieval Congress, University of Leeds, August 31, 2023.
- Travel Grant: MESA 2023, September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Legislation & Law of the Political Process, AALS, September 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Conference: Celebrating the scholarship and teaching of Prof. Christopher Melchert, Pembroke College, Oxford, September 25, 2023.
- Position opening: Tenure-track assistant professor in 19th century Middle East history, Yale University, October 1, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Southeast Asian history, Brown University, October 2, 2023.
- Position opening: Associate or Full Indigenous and/or Black Professor, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, October 10, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Fellowship: The American Research Institute in Turkey (ARIT), 2024-25, November 1, 2023.
- Conference: MESA’s 57th Annual Meeting, Montréal, Québec, Canada, November 2-5, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- Search for Editor: International Journal of Middle East Studies, until an appointment is made.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.