ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- Asked by The Washington Post to comment on the recent attack against Salman Rushdie and the fatwā issued by Khomeini against Rushdie for his allegedly blasphemous statements in The Satanic Verses, Editor-in-Chief Professor Intisar Rabb commented: “There is no historical instance or basis for calling on members of the general public to exercise vigilante justice to put someone to death for statements and, for that matter, for someone to follow such directives.”
- “Iran has executed at least 251 people in the first half of 2022, including women defending themselves against domestic violence,” according to Amnesty International.
- “A year since the Taliban seized power, two decades of U.S.-financed reforms have been reversed by mounting restrictions on daily life.” For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.”
- In the wake of the Supreme Court‘s decision to reverse Roe v. Wade, faith leaders, including Rabbi Jen Lader, Dr. Asifa Quraishi-Landes, a constitutional law and Islamic law professor at the University of Wisconsin, Chelsea Patterson Sobolik of the Southern Baptist Convention, have discussed the issue of abortion and the religious reverberations of the decision reversing the right to abortion. For more content and context on debates around the right to abortion and how Islamic has featured in these debates, consult our Resource Roundup: Abortion and Islamic Law.
- The National Library of Israel, founded in Jerusalem in 1892, has digitized its large collection of rare Islamic books and manuscripts.
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- An immersive VR experience of religious sites, Experience Makkah, launched as a project in 2015, has become most popular when it was updated in 2020 amid COVID-19.
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Position opening: Tenure-Track Harvard Professor in the History of Modern Africa, Harvard University, September 19, 2022.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Position opening: Associate Director and Chief Curator, The Oriental Institute, University of Chicago, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Papers: IMC 2023: Networks & Entanglements, August 31, 2022.
- Call for Applications: MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color, September 1, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- International Conference: Historicizing the Shiʿi Hadith Corpus, Leiden University, September 12-14, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Occidental College, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Temple University Beasley School of Law, Fall 2023.
- Call for Papers: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, September 15, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Studies, Stanford University, September 30, 2022.
- Conference: Materiality, Rituals and the Senses in Shi‘i Islam, Georgia, October 19-21, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law’s Forthcoming Volume 22 (2022), October 21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: The Johnson Program for First Book Authors (American Bar Foundation), November 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Shifting Criminal Legal Landscapes in 19th-Century Habsburg and Ottoman Borderlands (Missouri), November 11, 2022 @ 1:15 pm – 2:40 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Many Peoples, Many Laws: Legal Pluralism Across the Medieval World (Ontario), November 12, 2022 @ 2:05 pm – 3:35 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Islamic Law and Agriculture in Global History, 1850-1950 (Superior A), November 12, 2022 @ 10:15 am – 11:45 am.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.