On Islamic Law
- In International Law and Muslim States: Saudi Arabia in Context (Routledge, 2023), Dawood Hamzah (SOAS) “examines the Saudi Arabia textualist approach to the two primary sources of law in Islam, the Qur’an and Sunnah, and argues that a liberal approach of interpretation has become sine qua non especially now that myriad issues are confronting the Muslim world generally and Saudi Arabia in particular.”
- In Islamic Law and Society: The Practice Of Iftā’ And Religious Institutions (Routledge, 2023), Emine Enise Yakar “places context at the core of the Islamic mechanism of iftā’ to better understand the process of issuing fatwās in Muslim and non-Muslim countries, thus highlighting the connection between context and contemporaneity, on one hand, and the adaptable perception of Islamic law, on the other.”
- In Islamic Jihadism and the Laws of War (Oxford University Press, 2023), Omar Mekky (ICRC) “[o]ffers [an] interdisciplinary analysis of Islamic jihadism through three methodological approaches: historical, comparative (Islamic law/international law), and empirical.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Are emerging Islamic equity markets immune from contagion effects during the COVID-19 pandemic crisis? Evidence from the higher-order comoment-based contagion tests” (Economic Research 36, no. 3 (2023)), Nour El Houda Benzarti and Zouheir Mighri (University of Sousse, Tunisia) “investigate the possible contagion effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on twenty-four emerging Islamic equity markets.” The authors find that “most emerging Islamic equity markets are not immune from the contagious effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
- A new cohort of fellows, data scientists, and editors have joined the Program in Islamic Law at Harvard Law School for the 2023-2024 academic year.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Glossary of Islamic Finance by the Islamic Economic Project lists a collection of terms commonly used in Islamic finance discourse that aims to provide short and accessible definitions and summaries.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Book talk: Nathan Thrall’s “A Day in the Life of Abed Salama” – A Book talk with Kenneth Roth, CMES, Harvard University, October 23, 2023.
- Talk: “Chasing Floods: the Ottoman Introduction of Rice in the Balkan Peninsula” by Aleksandar Shopov, CMES, Harvard University, November 15, 2023.
- Seminar: “Revisiting History: Nurullah Shushtari on Shī’ī Historiography, Taqiyya & The Pre-Savafid Era” by Shahrad Shahvand, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, November 16, 2023.
- Talk: “The ‘Khitat’ of al-Maqrizi: Narrating History on the Tempo of ‘Kharab’” by Nasser Rabat, CMES, Harvard University, November 28, 2023.
- Talk: “Locusts of Power” by Samuel Dolbee, CMES, Harvard University, November 29, 2023.
- Seminar: “Ineffability and Adequation: Symmetries between ‘Ayn al-Quḍāt Hamadānī’s Theory of Language, Ontology and Mystical Epistemology” by Nicholas Boylston, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, November 30, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Law and Society Association Annual Meeting Unsettling Territories: Tradition and Revolution in Law and Society, October 24, 2023.
- Research Fellowship: Crown Center for Middle East Studies 2024, Brandeis University, October 27, 2023.
- Fellowship: The American Research Institute in Turkey (ARIT), 2024-25, November 1, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Early Modern / Modern Islam, The Department of Religious Studies at Northwestern University, November 1, 2023.
- Conference: MESA’s 57th Annual Meeting, Montréal, Québec, Canada, November 2-5, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Islamic Southeast Asia, Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies at UC Berkeley, November 10, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in South Asian Cultural Studies, The Department of Asian & Middle Eastern Studies at Duke University, November 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Annual Comparative Law Work-in-Progress Workshop, November 15, 2023.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): The emirate of the Banū Tellīs in the 15th c. CE, November 22, 2023.
- Call for Papers: EMPIRE: In Theory and In Middle East History, American University in Cairo, December 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Annual Conference of the British Association for Islamic Studies, December 14, 2023.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Shedding light on some Islamic sites and buildings in Cyrenaica, December 20, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Panel on Islamic Law and Constitutionalism: AALS 2024 Meeting, January 4, 2024.
- Author-Meets-Reader: Sherman Jackson and “The Islamic Secular,” AALS 2024 Meeting, January 6, 2024.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): The jurisprudential corpus and the history of Ibadism in medieval Libya: additions and difficulties, January 24, 2024.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Looking for Libya in Coptic-Arabic historiographical sources, February 21, 2024.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Partnership for Heritage. Documentation and heritage management for the protection of the Nafousa Mountains, April 17, 2024.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Between Ṭarābulus and Aṭrābulus. The journey of the toponym and difficulties in determining its form, May 22, 2024.
- Webinar: Revisiting the History of Medieval Libya (7th-16th centuries): Surveying and documentation of the archaeological city of Barca (Al-Marj), June 26, 2024.
- Symposium on Copyright in Islamic Legal Tradition, Istanbul, June 28-29, 2024.
- Search for Editor: International Journal of Middle East Studies, until an appointment is made.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- Call for Papers: Special Section – Lifewriting Annual and Islam.