On Islamic Law
- In “Islamic commercial arbitration and private international law: mapping controversies and exploring pathways towards greater coordination” (Humanities and Social Sciences Communications 10 (2023)), Mohammed El Hadi El Maknouzi (University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates) and others “map the main fault lines between the concerns for Shari’ah compliance, which are central to Islamic commercial arbitration and the categories of private international law.”
- In “Islam and the Emancipatory Ethic: Islamic Law, Liberation Theology and Prison Abolition” (Religions 14, no. 9 (2023)), Haroon Bashir (Department of Arabic and Islamic Studies, Markfield Institute of Higher Education, UK) “provides a genealogical overview of discourses pertaining to emancipation within Islamic thought.”
- In “Conflicts of Interest between Shariah and International Sale of Goods: Does CISG Interest Fit with Islamic Law?” (Monash University Law Review 49, no. 1 (2023)), Lisa Spagnolo (Macquarie Law School) and Maria Bhatti (Western Sydney University) discuss whether the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (“CISG”), whose article 78 imposes an interest obligation, is incompatible with sharī’a.
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Food Purchase by Islamic Youth: When Buying and Selling Contracts and Halal Awareness Ignore by Taste” (Journal of Business and Economic Research 4, no. 2 (2023)), Marlya Fatira AK (Politeknik Negeri Medan, Medan, Indonesia) and others survey data obtained from questionnaires from 130 students to provide “an overview of the purchasing decisions made by the younger generation of Muslims in buying trending food and its relation to ignoring sales, purchase contracts, and halal product information.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Laporan syariah = Syariah reports provides a “[d]igest of court reports of selected cases argued and determined in the Syariah High Courts and Appeal Courts of Malaysia.”
- The Database of Religious History “began as one of the flagship initiatives of the Cultural Evolution of Religion Research Consortium (CERC), based at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. It now continues as an independent academic initiative, based at UBC but involving partners and collaborators from all over the world.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Travel Grant: MESA 2023, September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Legislation & Law of the Political Process, AALS, September 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Conference: Celebrating the scholarship and teaching of Prof. Christopher Melchert, Pembroke College, Oxford, September 25, 2023.
- Position opening: 3-year Postdoctoral Research Fellowships in History, Magdalene College, Cambridge, 2024, September 29, 2023.
- Call for Abstracts: Thematic Dossier on the Indian Ocean, September 30, 2023.
- Position opening: Tenure-track assistant professor in 19th century Middle East history, Yale University, October 1, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Southeast Asian history, Brown University, October 2, 2023.
- Position opening: Associate or Full Indigenous and/or Black Professor, Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, October 10, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Symposium on Copyright in Islamic Legal Tradition, ISAR Research Center, Istanbul, October 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Fellowship: The American Research Institute in Turkey (ARIT), 2024-25, November 1, 2023.
- Conference: MESA’s 57th Annual Meeting, Montréal, Québec, Canada, November 2-5, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- Symposium on Copyright in Islamic Legal Tradition, Istanbul, June 28-29, 2024.
- Search for Editor: International Journal of Middle East Studies, until an appointment is made.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.