On Islamic Law
- In “Liberalism Versus Liberalism: An Analysis of Muslim-American Amicus Curiae Arguments Concerning Complicity-Based Conscience Claims” (Journal of Law and Religion 38, no. 2 (2023) (forthcoming)), Kamran Bajwa (Chicago Law School) and Samuel E. Miller (University of Iowa – College of Law; University of Chicago), reviewing amicus curiae briefs filed in Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado (2018), Bostock v. Clayton County (2020), and Fulton v. City of Philadelphia (2021), observe that claims have been made in these briefs concerning the harm done to third party religious groups by seemingly neutral laws of general applicability.
- In “Protection of persons with disabilities in armed conflict under international humanitarian law and Islamic law” (International Review of the Red Cross 105, no. 922 (2023)), Ahmed Al-Dawoody (International Committee of the Red Cross) and William I. Pons (University of Geneva) argue that “the protection of persons with disabilities in armed conflict, and specifically within Muslim contexts, will be enhanced through the inclusion and consideration of Islamic law.”
- In “Hadhonah Rights of Children (Not Mumayyis) Based on Compilation of Islamic Law and Child Protection Act” (Nusantra: Journal of Law Studies 2, no. 1 (2023)), Muhammad Fitri Adi (STAI Jam’iyah Mahmudiyah, Indonesia) considers the protections afforded to certain children based on Indonesia’s legal framework incorporating Islamic law.
- In “Islam’s Future in Kathmandu” (Commonweal, March 27, 2023), Thomas Albert Howard (Valparaiso University) describes “The Madrasa Discourses project, launched in 2015, [which] operates with the working assumption that today’s South Asian madrasa education has become too static, indifferent to history and basic scientific literacy.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Customers’ Perceptions of FinTech Adaptability in the Islamic Banking Sector: Comparative study on Malaysia and Saudi Arabia” (Journal of Modeling in Management 17, no. 4 (2023)), Ibrahim Abiodun Oladapo (Imam Abdulrahman Bin Faisal University, Saudi Arabia) and others, using primary data “collected from May to September 2019 using a questionnaire to survey 102 Islamic bank customers in Malaysia, and 147 in Saudi Arabia,” show that “knowledge, attitude, and subjective norms are the highly significant determining factors that influence customers’ opinions on adapting to new technology, but awareness demonstrates only a moderately positive effect.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- MagIran is and index to Persian language newspapers and periodicals.
- The Arab Center for International Humanitarian Law and Human Rights Education (ACIHL) maintains a website with links to different texts produced by ACIHL. The texts are in English, Arabic, and French.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Disaster Relief: Harvard Law School’s Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief Efforts.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Undergraduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 14, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Ayodeji Ogunnaike, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, April 14, 2023.
- Talk: “Understanding Mehir through the Ottoman Realm” by Sema Keles Yildiz, Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University, April 18, 2023.
- Islam in Africa Initiative: Zekeria Salem, Swartz Hall, Garvin Room, Harvard University, April 21, 2023.
- Workshop: Arabic Manuscript Workshop, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 24-28, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Dilyara Agisheva (Harvard Law School), “The Entangled Legal Formations and the Russian annexation of Crimea in the 18th century,” Harvard Law School, May 2, 2023.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Graduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, May 19, 2023.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Prize Nomination: Biennial prize for best book on the medieval Middle East (ca. 500-1500 CE). The Board of Directors of Middle East Medievalists, April 15, 2023.
- Call for Abstracts: 9th IDHN Conference, April 19, 2023.
- Fellowship: Evans Fund, Cambridge University, 2023, April 26, 2023.
- Call for Abstracts: Notre Dame Law School’s Religious Liberty Initiative’s Conference, April 28, 2023.
- Conference: Policing Issues in the 21st Century, AALS, April 28, 2023.
- Global Academy Award, 2023-2024: The MESA Global Academy, May 1, 2023.
- Conference: Seventh Conference for Junior Researchers, The Law and Society Association at Stanford Law School (LSAS), May 5, 2023.
- Postdoctoral research associate: The Center for Digital Humanities (CDH) and the NEH-funded initiative for Manuscript, Rare Book and Archive Studies (MARBAS) at Princeton University, August 2023, May 7, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Cambridge International Law Journal Volume 12(2), May 12, 2023.
- Roundtable Discussion: The future of teaching in the Islamicate Digital Humanities, AKU-ISMC, London, May 15-16, 2023.
- Summer Program: Comparative Law, AALS, May 15-June 16, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Call for Applications: ASLH Student Research Colloquium, 2023, June 1, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Call for Panel and Paper Proposals 2023: The American Society of Comparative Law, June 15, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.