On Islamic Law
- In “On The Historical Potential of Zaydi Legal Sources” (Leiden Arabic Humanities Blog, June 16, 2023), Najam Haider (Barnard College) observes that Zaydī sources have seldom been used in exploring the formation and development of Islamic law.
- In “The Marital Rape Based on Contemporary Islamic Criminal Law” (Jurnal Hukum Pidana Islam 9, no. 1 (2023)), Rodhotun Nimah (UIN Sunan Kalijaga Yogyakarta) “focuses on the relevance of the marital rape criminal sanction contained in Regulation Number 23 of 2004 concerning the Elimination of Domestic Violence with Criminal Sanctions in Fiqh Jinayah [of Indonesia].”
- In “Bank Interest in Islamic Law” (At-Tasyrih 9, no. 1 (2023)), Christopher Panal Lumban Gaol (Universitas Katolik Santo Thomas Medan, Indonesia) and others “an in-depth analysis of the philosophical underpinnings of bank interest in Islamic law, taking into account various perspectives and interpretations within the Islamic legal tradition.”
- In “Criminal Responsibility of Hierarchic Superiors in Islamic Law and International Criminal Law (ICL)” (International Journal of Social Science & Entrepreneurship 3, no. 1 (2023)), Nosheen Qayyum (International Islamic University, Islamabad) “aims to address the issue of criminal responsibility of hierarchic superiors from the perspective of Islamic law in order to identify potential conflicts and convergence with international criminal law (ICL).”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Islamic Law, Islamic Finance, and Sustainable Development Goals: A Systematic Literature Review” (MDPI 15, no. 8 (2023)), Burhanudin Harahap (Faculty of Law, Universitas Sebelas Maret, Indonesia) and others “retrieved 65 papers and book chapters published from 2008 to 2022 from the Scopus database to analyze which parts of Islamic finance and law can contribute to the SDGs.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Islamic Law Curriculum Project by the UK Legal Centre of Education brings together “a range of teaching and learning materials as part of the “Developing an Islamic law curriculum” project in 2011.”
- Muslim law systems and mixed systems with a Muslim law tradition is a project by the University of Ottawa that “[p]rovides a taxonomic overview of jurisdictions with the Muslim legal tradition. Also includes a brief bibliography.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Call for Abstracts: 2nd Global AI + Regulation Emerging Scholars Workshop, October 19-20, apply by July 16, 2023.
- Poster Session on AI and Society (with Poster Award) (English or French), October 19-20, apply by July 16, 2023.
- Summer School: Intensive Summer 2023 Intermediate Persian (Online), July 31 – August 27, 2023, application by July 20, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Travel Grant: MESA 2023, September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Legislation & Law of the Political Process, AALS, September 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.