On Islamic Law
- Family Law and Gender in the Middle East and North Africa: Change and Stasis since the Arab Spring (Cambridge University Press, 2023), edited by Adrien K. Wing (University of Iowa) and Hisham A. Kassim (Kassim Legal, PLLC), serves as reference point for anyone interested in the Middle East and North Africa as well as for those interested in women’s rights and family law, generally or in the MENA region. It covers family law in the following countries: Tunisia, Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, Iraq, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel, Palestine, and Qatar.
- In In Quest of Justice: Islamic Law and Forensic Medicine in Modern Egypt (University of California Press, 2023), Khaled Fahmy (Tufts University) “provides the first full account of the establishment and workings of a new kind of state in Egypt in the modern period. Drawing on groundbreaking research in the Egyptian archives, this highly original book shows how the state affected those subject to it and their response.”
- Timur Kuran (Duke University) published a new book titled Freedoms Delayed: Political Legacies of Islamic Law in the Middle East (Cambridge University Press, 2023) in which he argues that Islamic law’s entanglement with political authority contributed to the current state of democracy in the Middle East.”
- In “Fostering Islamic Morality through Tahfidz Learning: Islamic Law” (International Journal of Educational Narratives 1, no. 2 (2023)), Yudi Kurniawan Saputra (Universitas Islam Negeri Mahmud Yunus Batusangkar) and others explore how memorizing the Qur’ān can be used as a tool for teaching Islamic law and morality.
- In “The Harmonization of Polygamy Between Islamic Law and Legal Law in Indonesia” (Jurnal Hukum Keluarga dan Hukum Islam 7, no. 2 (2023)), Dahlia Haliah Ma’u (Shariah Faculty of IAIN Pontianak) discusses the various ways in which Indonesian secular and religious laws interact on the issue of plural marriage.
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Justice, Mediation, and Kalosara Custom of the Tolaki Community in Southeast Sulawesi from the Perspective of Islamic Law” (Jurnal Hukum Keluarga dan Hukum Islam 7, no. 2 (2023)), Kamaruddin, using a number of “in-depth inteviews,” explores the notion of kalosara, an Islamic law-influenced custom-based mediation tool used by the Tolaki community of Indonesia.
- Timur Kuran (Duke University) published a new book titled Freedoms Delayed: Political Legacies of Islamic Law in the Middle East (Cambridge University Press, 2023) in which he argues that Islamic law’s entanglement with political authority contributed to the current state of democracy in the Middle East.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Archives Research Compute Hub “is a research and education service that helps users easily build, access, and analyze digital collections computationally at scale.”
- ahadith.co.uk is a website that provides “the most comprehensive hadith library, which puts the most renowned hadith collections at the tip of your fingers. Currently there is over 11000 ahadith.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: Middle East Beyond Borders – Fall 2023, August 18, 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Postdoc at the Center for Social Concerns and the Ansari Institute for Global Engagement with Religion at the University of Notre Dame, July – September 2023. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- Scholarship: Iranian Studies, ARMACAD, July 31, 2023.
- Position opening: Conservator at Fitzwilliam Museum, July 31, 2023.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Travel Grant: MESA 2023, September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Legislation & Law of the Political Process, AALS, September 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor in Southeast Asian history, Brown University, October 2, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- Position opening: Postdoctoral opportunity in History of Islam/Arabic Studies, Leiden University, February 1, 2024.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.