On Islamic Law
- In Wives and Work: Islamic Law and Ethics Before Modernity (Columbia University Press, 2022), Marion Holmes Katz (New York University) “offers a new account of debates on wives’ domestic labor that recasts the historical relationship between Islamic law and ethics.”
- In “Just a Thought: Emilia Justyna Powell,” (Scholastic, October 17, 2022), Mia Moran interviews Emilia Justyna Powell, professor of politics and law at the University of Notre Dame, who commented: “I think that Islamic law is usually criticized and misunderstood, and I wanted to address that.”
- In “Islamic Republic: An Oxymoron” (SSRN, September 21, 2022), Homayoon Rafatijo (Spencer Fane Britt and Browne LLP), writing on Iranian constitutionalism, argues that “the codification of the doctrine of Absolute Mandate of the Jurist in Iran’s Constitution resulted in an oxymoronic form of government, which has been dangling the carrot of democracy, and simultaneously wielding the stick of despotism.”
- “‘The Canons of Islamic Jurisprudence,’ a translation from Arabic into English of Al-Qawanin Al-Fighiyyah, has been launched at the Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Centre for Historical Documentation and Research, Arewa House, Kaduna.”
- In “Qawanin Al-Fiqhiyyah: A work of brilliance, precision and authority” (21st Century Chronicle, October 8, 2022), Auwalu Umar (Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria) reviews Al-Qawanin Al-Fighiyyah, authored by Abul-Qasim Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Juzay.
- In “Word of God and Work of God” (Kashmir Observer, October 17, 2022), Dr. Tauseef Ahmad Parray (Jammu and Kashmir, Department of Islamic Studies) explores the life and influence of Islamic reformer Sayyid Ahmad Khan (1817-1898).
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Mental Health, Islam, Clinical Issues and COVID-19” (Journal of Religion and Health 61 (2022)), Lindsay B. Carey (La Trobe University, Australia) and others consider, among other things, “global research trends of health-related publications on Ramadan fasting from 1999 to 2021.”
- The Roshan Institute for Persian Studies announced that it is seeking to hire an assistant director to serve as the Assistant Director of a 3-year, Mellon Foundation-funded Open Islamicate Texts Initiative Arabic-script OCR Catalyst Project Phase II (AOCP Phase II).
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Al-Manzumah “provides access to a series of databases with full-text content of Arabic scientific conferences, dissertations and academic journals from 1921 to present day.”
- A Catalogue of Arabic Manuscripts in the Oriental Institute of Chicago “provides an inventory of the Arabic manuscripts held in the collection of the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Call for Abstracts: ABA Criminal Justice Section Academics Committee Works-in-Progress Workshop, October 21, 2022.
- Call for Papers: The Yearbook of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law’s Forthcoming Volume 22 (2022), October 21, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: The Johnson Program for First Book Authors (American Bar Foundation), November 10, 2022 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Shifting Criminal Legal Landscapes in 19th-Century Habsburg and Ottoman Borderlands (Missouri), November 11, 2022 @ 1:15 pm – 2:40 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Many Peoples, Many Laws: Legal Pluralism Across the Medieval World (Ontario), November 12, 2022 @ 2:05 pm – 3:35 pm.
- 2022 ASLH Conference: Islamic Law and Agriculture in Global History, 1850-1950 (Superior A), November 12, 2022 @ 10:15 am – 11:45 am.
- Call for Applications: Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop, The Law and Society Association, November 15, 2022.
- Webinar: “Improvised Forms: Body, Text, and Diagram in Saʿd al-Dīn Ḥamūya’s (d. 1252) Sajanjal al-arwāḥ” by Dr. Cyril Uy, November 15, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Annual Comparative Law Work-in-Progress Workshop, University of Pennsylvania Law School, November 18, 2022.
- Call for Papers: Regulative Verses of the Qur’ān (āyāt al-aḥkām), Al Mahdi Institute, November 25, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Director, The Roshan Institute for Persian Studies, December 1, 2022.
- Webinar: “The Second Formation of Islamic Law in Premodern Transoxiana: Evidences of Manuscripts” by Dr. Lola Dodkhudoeva, December 6, 2022.
- The American University in Cairo: Graduate Program in Arabic and Islamic Studies, Fall 2023, December 15, 2022.
- Residential Fellowship: Crown Center for Middle East Studies, 2023-2024, January 1, 2023.
- Call for Applications: Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History, 2023, January 15, 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct lecturer, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.