On Islamic Law
- In “The Method in Understanding Hadith Through Ijmā’ and Its Implications for Islamic Law in Indonesia: Studies on the Hadiths of the Month of Qamariyah” (Samarah 7, no. 1 (2023)), Abdul Majid (Universitas Islam Negeri Sultan Aji Muhammad Idris, Samarinda) and others investigate how the meaning of certain Prophetic teaching and sayings are determined by consensus over time.
- In “The relationship between islamic law and international law” (Caderno de ANAIS, May 5, 2023), Bárbara Thaís Pinheiro Silva provides a brief overview of the relationship between Islamic law and international law.
- In “The Intersection of Islamic Law and Nationhood in Contemporary Indonesia” (European Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 3, no. 2), Ahmad Faisal (IAIN Sultan Amai Gorontalo, Indonesia) “analyses the dynamic and diverse role that Islamic law plays in the process of nation-building that is currently taking place in Indonesia.”
- In “Madhhabs in the Islamic law. Comparative legal analysis” (EconPapers 1 (2023)), B. A. Antonov briefly traces the origins of the four Sunnī legal schools of Islamic legal doctrine, also known as maddhabs.
On Islam and Data Science
- In “The Role of Parents in Child Rearing from Islamic Law Perspective: A Study Based on Thoppur Area of Trincomalee District in Sri Lanka” (IJEBAS 3, no. 2 (2023)), A. K. Siyana and others, using a questionnaire to gather data from 200 families in a Sri Lankan province that practices Islam and Islamic law, find that there are significant variances in child rearing practices throughout the region.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Islamic Family Law is a “website [that] remains accessible for archival purposes, and for whatever value or resources viewers may find in it. Please bear in mind that Prof. An-Na‘im is no longer able to continue updating, revising, or changing the content of this site. Enjoy your journey through!”
- Finding the Law: Islamic Law (Sharia) prepared by scholar Andrew Grossman provides a short introduction to Islamic law and resources.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Disaster Relief: Harvard Law School’s Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief Efforts.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Graduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, May 19, 2023.
- Position opening: Managing Editor, Program in Islamic Law at Harvard Law School, May 19, 2023.
- Call for Entries for ILJ Student Note Competition, May 21, 2023.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Call for Papers: Cambridge International Law Journal Volume 12(2), May 12, 2023.
- Roundtable Discussion: The future of teaching in the Islamicate Digital Humanities, AKU-ISMC, London, May 15-16, 2023.
- Summer Program: Comparative Law, AALS, May 15-June 16, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Call for Articles: Bogazici Law Review (Turkey), May 31, 2023.
- Call for Applications: ASLH Student Research Colloquium, 2023, June 1, 2023.
- MESA Mentoring Award, June 1, 2023.
- MESA Jere L. Bacharach Service Award, June 1, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Call for Panel and Paper Proposals 2023: The American Society of Comparative Law, June 15, 2023.
- Summer School: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World, Leiden University, June 16, 2023.
- MESA Malcolm H. Kerr Dissertation Awards, July 1, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.