On Islamic Law
- In “Transformation and Future Challenges of Islamic Law in Indonesia” (Al Istinbath: Jurnal Hukum Islam 8, no. 1 (2023)), A. Malthuf Siroj (Universitas Nurul Jadid, Probolinggo Indonesia) and others “investigate the transformation of Islamic law starting from pre-entry of Islam to Indonesia, entry of Islam, colonialism, and independence to current reformation in Indonesia, as well as various challenges to the formalization of Islamic law.”
- In “Reconstruction of Ali Yafie’s Thinking in the Field of Social Fiqh in the Development of Islamic Law (Critical Review)” (Al Manhaj: Jurnal Hukum dan Pranata Sosial Islam 5, no. 1 (2023)), Amrin Amrin (State Islamic University Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta) and others investigate “Ali Yafie’s thoughts on the development of Islamic law in Indonesia.”
- Tamir Moustafa (Simon Fraser University) reviews Rachel M. Scott‘s (Virginia Tech) Recasting Islamic Law: Religion and the Nation State in Egyptian Constitution Making (Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2021) in Law & Social Inquiry.
- In “Quo Vadis of Islamic Law in National Law” (Russian Law Journal 11, no. 3 (2023)), Dri Santoso (Institut Agama Islam Negeri Metro, Indonesia) and others study the origins, current state, and future of Islamic law in Indonesia’s national legal system.
- In “Afghanistan, War Crisis, and Gender Apartheid: A Comment on AfghanWomen as War Victims and Nullified ‘Objects’ of Human Rights” (SSRN, May 18, 2023), Suparna Roy (Global Institute of Management and Technology) argues that “[r]ecent control of the Taliban’s rule on Afghanistan has reflected and repeated the historical totalitarian sense of dictatorship and gender apartheid[.]”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Portrait of Religious Fundamentalism among Students of the Study Program Islamic Education” (Adaara: Jurnal Manajemen Pendidikan Islam 13, no. 2 (2023)), Putri Dewi (STAI DDI Parepare, Indonesia) surveys a total of 80 respondents studying Islamic law to assess their conservativeness.
- Mathieu Tillier (Université Paris-Sorbonne (Paris IV) was interviewed by Khaleej Times on his recent book, The Invention of the Cadi: Justice among Muslims, Jews, and Christians during the First Centuries of Islam, which has won the prestigious Sheikh Zayed Book Award.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Al-Tafsir is “a completely free, non-profit website providing access to the largest and greatest online collection of Qur’anic Commentary (tafsir or tafseer), translation, recitation and essential resources in the world.”
- Al-Bab is an online repository of commentary on recent developments in the Arab world.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Disaster Relief: Harvard Law School’s Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief Efforts.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Summer Program: Comparative Law, AALS, May 15-June 16, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Call for Articles: Bogazici Law Review (Turkey), May 31, 2023.
- Online conference: IDHN 9th online conference, May 31, 2023.
- Call for Applications: ASLH Student Research Colloquium, 2023, June 1, 2023.
- MESA Mentoring Award, June 1, 2023.
- MESA Jere L. Bacharach Service Award, June 1, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Call for Panel and Paper Proposals 2023: The American Society of Comparative Law, June 15, 2023.
- Summer School: Philology and Manuscripts from the Muslim World, Leiden University, June 16, 2023.
- MESA Malcolm H. Kerr Dissertation Awards, July 1, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.