On Islamic Law
- Haider Ala Hamoudi has been appointed interim dean of University of Pittsburgh Law School.
- In “Hijab Ban Controversy in India’s Karnataka State – Analysis” (Eurasia Review, February 13, 2023), Azka Ali Khan, commenting on the recent controversy in Karnataka (India) concerning the right of Muslim women who wear the hijab to attend university, notes that “prohibiting Muslim women from wearing the hijab in educational institutions does not protect, them but rather significantly reduces their autonomy.” For more information and context on the recent hijāb ban controversy in Karnataka (India), consult our Research Editor Raha Rafii’s “Snapshot: Karnataka High Court Ruling on Banning Ḥijāb” and the posts listed there.
- In “Moral police: see where they are and how repression groups act against those who violate Islamic law – International” (The Goa Spotlight, February 9, 2023), experts review the morality police in Iran and in other parts of the Muslim world.
- In “Does the World Need a Caliphate?” (Comment, February 1, 2023), hosted by Shadi Hamid (The Center for Middle East Policy at Brookings) and Matthew Kaemingk (Fuller Theological Seminary), Ovamir Anjum (University of Toledo) discusses his “controversial essay in which he boldly called for the establishment of a new caliphate.”
- In “Pakistan’s Government Is Choosing Extremist Islam Over Economic Stability” (Foreign Policy, February 15, 2023), Kunwar Khuldune Shahid (The Diplomat) argues that “[b]y curtailing free speech and doubling down on blasphemy laws, [Pakistan] is endangering its relationship with Europe and the United States.”
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Could robots be religious?” (ETCBC, December 15, 2022), Wido van Peursen (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam) notes that “religion is so much intertwingled with the human condition and human needs, that it is hard to imagine religion loosened from human beings.”
- In “The Supreme Court Considers the Algorithm” (The Atlantic, February 1, 2023), Kaitlyn Tiffany (The Atlantic) considers the implications of the Supreme Court taking up Gonzales v. Google and a number of other cases revolving around the interpretation of Section 230, which generally provides immunity to platform providers for the content of third persons.
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- Séminaire : Introduction à la codicologie arabe, affiliated with the University Library Of Languages & Civilizations (Paris, France) offers courses on how to read Arabic texts as well as resources on Islamic studies.
- Collections for Islamic and Middle Eastern studies at the University of Edinburgh “has a good collection of printed resources on Islamic and Middle Eastern studies, ranging from monographs, journals, manuscripts and electronic databases. There are over 23,000 monographs on a wide range of subjects about the whole region and various countries.”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Disaster Relief: Harvard Law School’s Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief Efforts.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Talk: “Early Modern Money Between England and the Ottoman Empire” by Ellen M. Nye, Charles Warren Center, Harvard Law School, February 23, 2023.
- Call for Applications: The Inaugural Harvard-Zaytuna Thesis Symposium, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, March 3-5, 2023.
- SHARIAsource Lab :: Hackathon: Arabic OCR Community Scribes, March 4, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Haroun Rahimi (The American University of Afghanistan), “Taliban and Modernity,” Harvard Law School, March 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Program in Islamic Law: Data Science Fellowships, 2023-2024, March 31, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Elizabeth Lhost (University of Wisconsin–Madison), Everyday Islamic Law and the Making of Modern South Asia, Harvard Law School, April 4, 2023.
- Seminar: “The Rule of Recognition and the Consolidation of the Maliki Madhhab in the 14th Century” by Mohammad Fadel, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 6, 2023.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Undergraduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 14, 2023.
- Workshop: Arabic Manuscript Workshop, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 24-28, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Dilyara Agisheva (Harvard Law School), “The Entangled Legal Formations and the Russian annexation of Crimea in the 18th century,” Harvard Law School, May 2, 2023.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Graduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, May 19, 2023.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- Webinar: “Arabic Reading Comprehension on the Holy Qur’an using CL-AraBERT” with Dr. Rana Malhas, University of Leeds, February 24, 2023.
- Conference: The Maghrib in Massachusetts, UMass Boston, February 25, 2023.
- Visiting Scholar Opportunity: The Fares Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies at The Fletcher School at Tufts University, February 28, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Secularism as a Value, Princeton, New Jersey, March 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop on Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, March 1, 2023.
- Webinar: “Contesting Sharia Law and Moral Enforcement in Aceh, Indonesia: A Contextual Approach” by Reza Idra, Stanford University, March 2, 2023.
- Fellowship: Robert M. Cover – Allard K. Lowenstein International Human Rights Clinical Fellowship, Yale Law School, 2023-2025, March 10, 2023.
- Call for Panels: Association for the Study of the Worldwide African Diaspora (ASWAD) 11th Biennial Conference, University of Ghana-Legon, March 15, 2023.
- Ottoman Summer School, Istanbul, Bilgi University, March 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, March 20, 2023.
- Webinar: “Public Freedoms in the Islamic State,” with Rached Ghannouchi, Noah Feldman and Rushain Abbasi, Yale Law School, March 21, 2023.
- Conference: “Succession in Islamic Law,” Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law, March 30-31, 2023.
- Conference: Policing Issues in the 21st Century, AALS, April 28, 2023.
- Conference: Seventh Conference for Junior Researchers, The Law and Society Association at Stanford Law School (LSAS), May 5, 2023.
- Roundtable Discussion: The future of teaching in the Islamicate Digital Humanities, AKU-ISMC, London, May 15-16, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.