On Islamic Law
- In Peace and Reconciliation in International Islamic Law (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2023), Kaleem Hussain (University of Birmingham) “presents a lucid analysis, observing how the sources of international law and Islamic Law help or hinder the pathway towards peace and reconciliation in selected conflict theatres: namely, Afghanistan, Palestine-Israel and Kashmir.”
- In “Politics of Islamic Law in the Early New Order Era (1984 to 1990)” (International Seminar of Islamic Studies, March 2023), Rusli Halil Nasution (STAI Tebingtinggi Deli, Indoniesa) traces the gradual prominence with which Islamic law came to be integrated into Indonesia law.
- In “Feauturing Fiqh: the Representation of Islamic Law in Egyptian Historical Dramas” (Middle East Law and Governance, April 4, 2023), Jakob Skovgaard-Petersen (University of Copenhagen) offers “a preliminary investigation into the role of fiqh in Egyptian historical films and musalsalāt.”
- In “Religious Accommodation in the Workplace, Undue Hardship, and the Impact on Coworkers” (SSRN, March 28, 2023), Debbie Kaminer (The City University of New York) discusses the clashing pro-religious accommodation and pro-business orientations of the Roberts Court, using writ of certiorari in Groff v. DeJoy as a segue into the discussion.
- In “The Hijab Row in Karnataka, Egalitarian Uniformity and the Right to Adorn One’s Face” (SSRN, April 3, 2023), Robert Kahn (University of St. Thomas School of Law) questions the Karnataka High Court’s assumption that religious attire clashes with uniformity, asking “Why would wearing a hijab, even one sporting the school colors, ‘breed indiscipline that may eventually degenerate into chaos on campus?'” For more information and context on the hijāb ban controversy in Karnataka (India), consult our Research Editor Raha Rafii’s “Snapshot: Karnataka High Court Ruling on Banning Ḥijāb” and the posts listed there.
- In “Understanding an American Paradox: An Overview of the Racial Muslim: When Racism Quashes Religious Freedom” (SSRN, March 15, 2023), SpearIt (University of Pittsburgh School of Law) reviews Sahar Aziz’s The Racial Muslim: When Racism Quashes Religious Freedom (The University of California Press, 2021).
On Islam and Data Science
- In “Implementation of Professional Zakat of State Civil Apparatus in Indonesian in Islamic Law Perspective” (Profetika: Jurni Studi Islam 24, no. 1), Amrin (State Islamic University Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta) and others, using “descriptive qualitative data” as well as data from field research, explore the barriers against the implementation of zakāt regulations in certain parts of Indonesia.
- In [an] episode of the [Levantini] [P]odcast, Abigail Krasner Balbale [New York University] discusses her book The Wolf King: Ibn Mardanish and the Construction of Power in Al Andalus.”
FIELD GUIDE TO ISLAMIC LAW ONLINE: RECENT SOURCES
The Field Guide to Islamic Law Online is an ever-growing collection of links to hundreds of links to primary sources and archival collections around the world, online.We recently added new resources to this list:
- The Quranic Arabic Corpus is “an annotated linguistic resource which shows the Arabic grammar, syntax and morphology for each word in the Holy Quran. The corpus provides three levels of analysis: morphological annotation, a syntactic treebank and a semantic ontology.”
- The Koran “is an electronic version of The Holy Qur’an, an English translation published in 1983 by Tahrike Tarsile Qur’an, Inc.” Maintained by the University of Michigan Library, it allows simple, proximity, and boolean searches in the Koran.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Disaster Relief: Harvard Law School’s Turkey-Syria Earthquake Relief Efforts.
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Workshop: Arabic Manuscript Workshop, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, April 24-28, 2023.
- Islamic Law Speaker Series :: Dilyara Agisheva (Harvard Law School), “The Entangled Legal Formations and the Russian annexation of Crimea in the 18th century,” Harvard Law School, May 2, 2023.
- Prize: Alwaleed Bin Talal Graduate Thesis Prize, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program, Harvard University, May 19, 2023.
- Call for Entries for ILJ Student Note Competition, May 21, 2023.
- Call to Sponsor a Member: for applicants affected by the earthquakes, MESA 2023.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Call for Abstracts: Notre Dame Law School’s Religious Liberty Initiative’s Conference, April 28, 2023.
- Conference: Policing Issues in the 21st Century, AALS, April 28, 2023.
- Global Academy Award, 2023-2024: The MESA Global Academy, May 1, 2023.
- Conference: Seventh Conference for Junior Researchers, The Law and Society Association at Stanford Law School (LSAS), May 5, 2023.
- Position opening: Executive Director, American Civil Liberties Union of Pennsylvania, May 5, 2023.
- Postdoctoral research associate: The Center for Digital Humanities (CDH) and the NEH-funded initiative for Manuscript, Rare Book and Archive Studies (MARBAS) at Princeton University, August 2023, May 7, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Cambridge International Law Journal Volume 12(2), May 12, 2023.
- Roundtable Discussion: The future of teaching in the Islamicate Digital Humanities, AKU-ISMC, London, May 15-16, 2023.
- Summer Program: Comparative Law, AALS, May 15-June 16, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Munich Summer Institute 2023 & Ph.D. Workshop, May 24-26, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Call for Articles: Bogazici Law Review (Turkey), May 31, 2023.
- Call for Applications: ASLH Student Research Colloquium, 2023, June 1, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Association’s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Call for Panel and Paper Proposals 2023: The American Society of Comparative Law, June 15, 2023.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.