ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- An Islamic clerics board in India, in response to the Karnataka High Court that ruled that hijāb is not an essential part of Islamic law, stated that the court’s interpretation was based on an erroneous interpretation of the Qur’ān. The board claimed: “In its impugned Judgment, the High Court of Karnataka curtails religious freedom and constitutional rights of Muslim women.”
- The marriage of a Muslim aide to the Indonesian president with a Catholic has sparked controversy in Indonesia on whether the marriage law that forbids inter-religious marriages should be revised.
- Public schools in Illinois, US may start serving more vegetarian and vegan food, in an attempt to accommodate religious students, including Muslims, according to a bill that passed the Illinois State Senate.
- The Muslim community in Alaska, clustered around the Anchorage Mosque, the northernmost mosque in the nation, have started preparing for Ramadan.
- Professor Ruud Peters, a towering figure in Islamic law scholarship, has passed away in Amsterdam.
- The Taliban have banned women from flying on domestic and international flights without a male chaperone, though a Taliban spokesperson denied such ban.
- The UN Security Council has asked the Taliban to immediately allow Afghan girls to attend schools.
- The Taliban have barred government employees without beards from work. For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb‘s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.“
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- In preparation of Ramadan, Oman has announced that congregational prays “is limited to worshippers who received two doses of vaccine against COVID-19.”
UPCOMING EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
- Panel: Hadith Legacy: The Content and the Social Network of Hadith in Islamic Intellectual History, Syracuse University, April 6, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Mr. Shivan Fazil and Dr. Bahar Baser, April 8, 2022.
- Lecture on Comparative Law: “Metacanons: Comparative Textualism at SCOTUS and in Islamic Law” by Intisar Rabb, UC Berkeley Law, April 13, 2022.
- Persian Language Summer School by Aspirantum, Yerevan (Armenia), July 3, 2022 – August 27, 2022. Deadline: April 21, 2022.
- Call for Applications: 2022 Temple Bar Scholarship. Deadline: April 30, 2022.
- Postdoctoral position opening: Christian-Muslim communication, University of Konstanz. Deadline: April 2022.
- Call for Applications: The MESA Global Academy 2022-2023. Deadline: May 1, 2022.
- Conference: Clinical Legal Education, May 9-13, 2022.
- Webinar: AMECYS Friday Digital Author Series: Dr. Rania Kassab Sweis, Associate Professor of Anthropology, May 13, 2022.
- Conference on Kurdish Family Law, Harnack House in Berlin, June 2-4, 2022.
- Workshop: Intertextuality in Islamic and Jewish Law, June 21-23, 2022, University of Muenster.
- Conference: The Digital Orientalist’s Virtual Conference 2022, June 25, 2022.
- Society of Legal Scholars, 113th Annual Conference, King’s College London, September 6-9, 2022.
- Conference: American Society for Legal History 2022, November 10-12, 2022.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.