ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- “Responding to the criticism from the U.N., the Taliban-led foreign ministry in Kabul called the remarks an interference in the country’s internal affairs: ‘The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan remains committed to international norms and obligations that do not contradict the principles of Islamic law, contravene Afghanistan’s cultural norms or undermine our national interests,’ the statement said, using the official name of the Taliban government.” For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.”
- “India‘s top Muslim body, the AIMPLB, has decided to oppose the Uniform Civil Code (UCC) proposed by Prime Minister Modi, stating that it will affect all religions and communities in the country. The UCC aims to implement a set of common personal laws for all citizens of India.”
- ” [The Ugandan] Parliament has been advised to carefully deliberate the enactment of the requisite laws to govern the operations of Islamic Banking in Uganda, warning of the likely ramifications in case of any lapse.”
- “A man was stoned to death after being accused of blasphemy in northwest Nigeria, authorities and activists said, sparking outrage […] from rights groups worried about what they said were growing threats to religious freedom in the region.” For more content and context on harsh interpretations and applications of Islamic criminal law, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s “Resource Roundup: Islamic Criminal Law.” For more news blurbs relating to harsh applications of Islamic criminal law, consult our “Islamic Criminal Law in the News Roundup.”
- “A controversial law proposed by [Italy‘s] ruling far-right coalition has again brought Muslims and their places of worship to the fore of Italy’s political discourse.” “‘It’s absurd. It will go against the freedom of practicing a religion, when the state should actually be creating conditions allowing people to exercise their right to practice any religion,”’said Yassine Lafram, president of the Union of Islamic Communities and Organizations in Italy (UCOII).”
- “The government of Saudi Arabia has announced the issuance of the long awaited Civil Transactions Law (“CTL“), the third of the four laws announced as part of the specialized legislations reform (The others being the Family Law, Evidence Law (both have been issued) and the Criminal law (expected to be issued soon)).”
CASES AND FATWĀS
- In dismissing a plea for police protection filed by an interfaith couple living together, the Allahabad High Court in India held: “‘Zina has been defined as any sexual intercourse except that between husband and wife, such premarital sex is not permissible in Islam, any sexual, lustful, affectionate acts such as kissing, touching, staring, etc. are “Haram” in Islam before marriage.'”
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Internship opportunity: The Executive Office of the President, White House, various deadlines.
- Position opening: Academic mentor and field researcher in Iraq, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich, rolling basis.
- Position opening: Academic mentor for researcher in Mogadishu, Cordoba Peace Institute-Geneva (CPI) & ETH Zurich.
- Summer Course: Thinking with Islamicate Manuscripts: Critical Approaches to Historical Methodology, History of Collections, and Digital Tools In Islamic Studies, July 3-7, 2023, Central European University (application deadline: February 14, 2023).
- Conference: Interdisciplinary Conference on Islamic Law in the Crucible of the Modern State: Problems and Perspectives, University of Muenster, Germany, July 10-12, 2023.
- Wallace Johnson First Book Program, July 14, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College.
- MESA Undergraduate Education Award, August 1, 2023.
- MESA Graduate Student Paper Prize, August 15, 2023.
- Position opening: The Department of Religious Studies, Michigan State University, August 16, 2023.
- Workshop: TraSIS (Trajectories of Slavery in Islamicate Societies) and the BCDSS (Bonn Center for Dependency and Slavery Studies) Murtensee, August 30, 2023 – September 1, 2023.
- Call for Abstracts: Comparative Law Perspectives on the Future of Constitutional Government in the Global World Order, AALS, September 1, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Legislation & Law of the Political Process, AALS, September 5, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue of Religions: “A Critique of the Modern Discourse of Maqāṣid,” September 15, 2023.
- Call for Papers: Islamic Law & Constitutionalism, AALS Annual Meeting, September 15, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Works-in-Progress Workshop: Comparative Constitutional Law in the Global South, Columbia Law School, October 20-21, 2023.
- Prize: Nominations for the Mark Tushnet Prize in Comparative Law, AALS, November 30, 2023.
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher – Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Law’s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.