ISLAMIC LAW IN THE NEWS
- “A Saudi national has been sentenced to death for smuggling banned amphetamine tablets near the country’s northern border with Jordan, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Sunday citing the Ministry of Interior.”
- “Nineteen people in northeastern Afghanistan were lashed for adultery, theft and running away from home, a Supreme Court official said Sunday.” “The lashings took place on 11 November in a mosque in presence of clerics, elders and other citizens.”
- “Taliban on Friday, Nov 18 publicly flogged a boy and a girl for having a pre-marital affair in Bamyan,” with one Taliban spokesperson commenting “they [i.e. judges] must not hesitate in giving Hadd and Qisas punishments.” For more content and context on the recent developments in Afghanistan, consult our Editor-in-Chief, Professor Intisar Rabb’s â€œResource Roundup: Afghanistan, the Taliban, and Islamic Law.”
- In Malaysia‘s elections, former Prime Minister and opposition leader Muhyiddin‘s alliance included “an Islamist party that has touted sharia Islamic law for the Southeast Asian nation, [which] emerged as a third major bloc, dividing votes more than had been expected.”
- “The Kerala High Court [of India] has held that marriage between a Muslim man and a Muslim minor girl under their personal law is not excluded from the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.”
- Asif Iqbal‘s famous blog has garnered attention by reviewing popular products and whether and how they align with Islamic laws.
- A survey on Muslim perspectives toward transgender individuals in Morocco revealed that imÄms hold a variety of views on the subject, one commenting: “I am telling you that there is no mention of transgender people in the Holy Quran, and whether they are right or wrong.”
ON COVID-19 AND ISLAMIC LAW
- Researchers at the Peace Research Institute Oslo, including Kaja Borchgrevink, have documented, with regard to Pakistan, that “[t]he importance of religion to many people in Pakistan gives Islamic scholars and local imams considerable influence over peopleâ€™s attitudes and behaviors.”
- “The Islamic Center of Manhattan welcomed the public into its space over the weekend,” a first since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
UPCOMING EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
PIL & Harvard Calendar:
- Student work opportunity: Research assistant, Widener Library, Harvard University.
- Call for Papers: The 22nd Vagantes Conference on Medieval Studies, Harvard University, November 28, 2022.
- Position opening: Tenure-Track Professor of Persian Literature and Cultures, Harvard University, January 6, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Director, The Roshan Institute for Persian Studies, December 1, 2022.
- Webinar: â€œThe Second Formation of Islamic Law in Premodern Transoxiana: Evidences of Manuscriptsâ€ by Dr. Lola Dodkhudoeva, December 6, 2022.
- Position opening: Al-Qasimi Professor of Islamic Studies, University of Exeter, December 7, 2022.
- Symposium: Legal Orders under Pressure: Non-Western Experiences of Legal Transformations in the 19th and Early 20th Centuries, Max Planck Institute, December 7-9, 2022.
- The American University in Cairo: Graduate Program in Arabic and Islamic Studies, Fall 2023, December 15, 2022.
- Residential Fellowship: Crown Center for Middle East Studies, 2023-2024, January 1, 2023.
- Call for Applications: Hurst Summer Institute in Legal History, 2023, January 15, 2023.
- Workshop: Digital Medieval Studies Institute, NYU DC, February 22, 2023.
- 2023 Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop: 22nd meeting of the Law and Humanities Interdisciplinary Workshop, Georgetown Law Center, Washington, DC, May 24-25, 2023.
- The Graduate Student & Early Career Workshop: Law and Society Association, May 31, 2023.
- Annual meeting: Law & Society Associationâ€™s Annual Meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, June 1-4, 2023.
- Position opening: Assistant Professor of Modern Middle Eastern History, University of Tennessee, Fall 2022. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Columbia University, The Department of Art History and Archaeology Barbara Stoler Miller Assistant Professor, Indian and South Asian Art History. Deadline: until an appointment is made.
- Position opening: Associate Director, Center for Religious and Spiritual Life and Muslim Chaplain, Macalester College (priority given to applications by August 1, 2022).
- Position opening: Adjunct Lecturer in Modern Middle East, Babson College.
- Call for Applications: Interdisciplinary Scholars of Places, Movement and Cultural Practices Professor, New York University Abu Dhabi. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Research Project: Historian/Researcher â€“ Tudor Period/Elizabethan Era, and the Ottoman Empire during the Suleiman the Magnificent Period. Deadline: until the position is filled.
- Call for Submissions: The UCLA School of Lawâ€™s Journal of Islamic and Near Eastern Law (JINEL).
- Call for Manuscripts: Advances in the Study of Islam, Edinburgh University Press.
- Request for Open Submissions: AALS 2023 Annual Meeting, January 4-7, 2023. Submission deadlines vary.
- MEM Fellowship for Graduate Students of Color.
- Scholarship: Islamic Scholarship Fund CAMBA Law Scholarship 2023.